Title: Taken
Summary: She was taken. From everything.
Taken
I looked around the makeshift American hospital, my brother, and sister standing in the crowded corridor. From where I could see there were tears rolling down their eyes. Everyone was trying to be strong like I had always been. Always smiling, but their smiles were always false never true.
I’ve always been the strong one. When I would fall over, I would just get straight back up again, like nothing happened. When there were bombs or explosions, I wouldn’t panic. If I could, I would run. If I couldn’t I still wouldn’t panic.
But once, I was coming home from school. I saw a big explosion and heard shots being fired. My house was near. So I ran like the wind, but I was too late. My mother’s flustered best friend who ran up the hill was standing there crying, tears so heavy they hit the crusty ground. Then she noticed my mother’s hair on the cooking pot and rags of my father’s clothes. They were dead. My brother, sister and I now orphans. My brother and sister emerged behind me in tears.
Harpminder lead us down the hill in a sad, painful silence. Leah carrying Samuel. Where were we going? What was happening? Harpminder finally lead us to the missing/dead person’s desk in the American hospital. As they finished running the checks on the computer, they looked at us with sorry faces. Then a fat well-groomed couple walked in crying. They looked up and saw me crying with my mothers and fathers wedding photo. They smiled a true smile and asked the doctor if we were orphans in a funny language. I think it was English the American doctor just nodded.
They took me by the hand and hugged me tightly making me drop my picture. They signed some forms and said say ‘mama’ in a cute voice as if they were talking to a baby. They said it again and again ‘say mama’. I tried to run. Harpminder was running and cursing. Cursing the Americans who held my sweaty hand. The interpreter stood in her way explaining to her that since I had no family over the age of eighteen I could be adopted and that is what the American couple had done adopted me. Harpminder walked over to Leah and Samuel very sadly to explain to them that I was gone. I’m standing on the footpath now. Watching my remaining family cry. The American man called for a taxi and hugged me how my mother did. I just cried.
I was being taken from all that I knew, from all that I loved, from everything.
A/N: this was written when I was eleven. Probably inspired by a movie. It is by no mean an attack on any nationalities. My writing has since improved.